Monday, August 2, 2010

Girl with a dragon tattoo

I have been hearing rave reviews about this book for some time now. Normally when the world is talking about a book or movie it usually disappoints me thanks to the high standards it has to meet.
This one however was quite the opposite. I had ordered it online and it arrived on a perfect day. The TNEB was once again was playing with my life and had decided to gift us with a day-long power cut. Just as I was wondering what I should do, this book arrived. I do not remember the last time I read a book for nine hours at a stretch. It truly was an engrossing piece of work and it had spooked me out enough to make me forego my nocturnal walks for a while.

The story is of my favourite genre – mystery/thriller. Set in Sweden , it not only is a classic murder mystery but also gives you a peak into modern Swedish economy and the country ‘s role during Hitler’s regime. None of the characters in the book are a clear black or white , they are all shades of grey including the protagonists.

Unfortunately like Heath Ledger, the author of this book Stieg Larsson did not live to see what a global phenomenon his work has turned out to be. The book is the first of a triology and I can’t wait to lay hands on the other two.

I was mortified to see that the books had already been made into movies (Swedish dubbed in English). I use the word mortified because i have seen many a beautiful book butchered by heartless film makers. Curiosity got the better of me and I watched it. As expected the movie was not as half as good as the book. My heart bleeds as I read yesterday that Hollywood will be re-making the movie next year. I already know that this movie will not have the essence of the original story. Yes i am little prejudiced. Something about a murder mystery in a East European country with a dark history lends it an eerie touch. I strongly doubt Americanizing it will have the same impact.
Really the movie has been dubbed in English, why cant you be happy with that? Why make an American version? Sigh I shall soothe my bleeding

3 comments:

The Housewife said...

Its a good book but I think I'll restrict myself to light cheerful reading like Dr Seuss! And you're right… hollywood is the death knell for this book.

Scrumps said...

The trilogy is amazing! Not usually my kind of books I read them about 4 months ago. I literally could not put them down and found myself reading them at every opportunity! :|

Wanderlust said...

Housewife- yes honey you should stay away from these at least for a while!

Scrumps - im yet to start on the other two. Really looking forward to that!